Answers not found?

  • Who can Locum? Any medical practitioner with full unconditional registration, in any Australian state or territory from RMO1 (PGY2) up can locum.

    Interns are welcome to sign up but cannot take up any work until they become a Resident.

    Overseas trained medical officers intending to locum in Australia must have an unconditional working visa to work in Australia.
  • Can I work anywhere in Australia? We offer work throughout Australia in public and private healthcare facilities.

    For as long as you have unconditional registration in any Australian state or territory, you can apply for mutual recognition in the state you wish to work in.
  • If working interstate, who pays for travel, accommodation, and medical registration? Generally, the employing hospital provides travel and accommodation. Some even pay for your first medical registration in that state.

    In most instances, the hospital will make these arrangements for you. However, there will be instances where DWL will do these on your behalf.

    On the rare occasion, you may need to make these arrangements yourself.

    Please keep all travel and accommodation documents. You will require these to claim from the hospital (those who provide an allowance). If not, then you may require them for tax purposes at the end of the financial year.
  • Do I need to quit my fulltime job to locum? No you dont. However, this is entirely up to you.

    You can locum on weekends, days off, or on your holidays.

    It is a question of balancing locum work with your fulltime job while adhering to safe working hours policies. With the current changes in NSW, you also need to consider secondary employment guidelines.
  • Do I need my own medical indemnity insurance to locum? Yes and No. It depends on how the employing healthcare facility pays you.

    In the public health system, where you are paid on a PAYE basis, you are recognised as an employee of the organisation. As an employee, you are indemnified by that organisation.

    However, if you are paid through Tax Invoice, you will need an ABN, and therefore deemed as a subcontractor to the employing organisation. You will need to have your own medical indemnity insurance for this purpose.

    Most basic medical indemnity policies have a provision for medical officers to earn a limited amount of income through the Tax Invoices.

    In general, we recommend all doctors to have their own medical indemnity.

    We recommend you contact your currrent insurer for more details.
  • Do I need a provider number to locum? In short, no. However, some hospitals will request that locums apply for a hospital specific provider number. In these instances, we will provide you with the forms required.
    For GP work however, most practices will require you have your own provider number.
  • How much will I get paid? Hourly rates are always included in all our jobs listed. Rates can range from Award wages to $145 per hour depending on your level of experience.

    Where short notice 'Crisis' shifts become available, rates can increase up to $180 per hour. Crisis shifts attract a higher rate as they are given priority to be filled.
  • How do I get paid? Under the PAYE system, you are deemed an employee of the hospital. Prior to starting your shift, you will be required to provide banking details, superannuation, and tax file number declaration to the hospital. You will need to submit a timesheet for your payment to be processed.

    Payment is generally by EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) to your nominated bank account.

    Should you be required to provide a Tax Invoice, please make sure you have an ABN. You will need to provide a Tax Invoice for the completed work.

    Not everybody is comfortable providing having an ABN and providing a Tax Invoice. We recommend you speak to your accountant or financial advisor so you understand the requirements, and the impact it may have on your tax situation.

    DWL has an invoice template available for you to use. Also, if you wish, we can prepare and submit a Tax Invoice on your behalf. All you need to do is to let us know.
  • How do I get started with DWL? To get started, DWL require the following:

    • Copy of current CV
    • List of 3 referees - preferable recent supervisors or department heads
    • Copy of your current medical registration,
    • Copy of your current medical indemnity,
    • 100 Point Proof of ID, and
    • Signed PED and CRC forms
    A checklist, along with all the other required forms, can be found on our forms page.

    There are numerous forms required by NSW Health for placements in NSW Public Hospitals. These are available for download or DWL can also make these available to you by post or email.

    Once we have completed the registration process, you will have full access to our website and shift lists.

    Although the initial paperwork seems exhausting, it is thorough and comprehensive.

    From hereon, DWL handle all your paperwork and will advise you of any updates required to ensure you are always 'ready' for any opportunities that may come up.
  • How much does DWL charge me for their services? DWL does not charge doctors for our services. If any recruitment company asks you for money, you should query this.
  • How do I submit my CV? You can email or Fax your CV to us - see our contact page for the details.
  • I have a working visa, can I locum? Yes. If you have a full unconditional visa you are free to locum in Australia.

    Sponsored visas such as the Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) may give you unconditional working rights within a health area district but limit work elsewhere. Doctors who have this visa will not be able to locum until the work restrictions are lifted and they gain full, unconditional working status.

    You will also need to gain medical registration in the state you wish to work in, and if you are a specialist, be accredited by the Australian College of your specialty.
  • I am an international medical graduate, can I locum in Australia? No, not unless you have passed the Australian Medical Council (AMC) exams.

    Special exemptions are being made for doctors who studied in the UK, Ireland, Canada and the US under the Competent Authority Pathway (CAP) where doctors are able to by-pass the standard AMC exams and therefore gain full medical registration.

    In both cases, doctors are not able to locum until they have gained an unconditional working visa (See above question) however doctors granted full medical registration through the CAP may be able to gain a suitable (locuming) working visa quicker than through the AMC examination process.

    Whilst the AMC has agreed to phase in nationally consistent assessments for international medical graduates since July 2007, state medical boards deal with applicants for CAP on a case-by-case basis - to the best of our knowledge there currently is no 'standard' time frame between submission and acknowledgement. For further information, please contact the relevant state medical board. Please see our Useful Links - Medical Boards.
  • Where are the jobs in Australia? Registering with Dr Who Locums will ensure you receive our shift list on a regular basis and this will give you a comprehensive listing of all the current work we have available.

    We advertise positions in every state and territory in Australia and place locums in public, private, metropolitan and rural hospitals as well as clinics.

  • Who covers travel and accommodation expenses if they are required? Flights and accommodation are usually provided by the hospital with prior approval of shift. Please check with your consultant for further details.
  • What should my resume look like? Please contact DWL for a current CV template.
  • Do I need to provide references? Yes. Three supervisors or managers you have worked directly under, not friends or colleagues. Written references are not required as we will contact them directly.

    Please ensure your referees are relevant to the department in which you intend to locum, i.e. ED, ICU, Surgical, Medical, etc.